Thursday, October 27, 2011

Errors in print and eBooks

Actually, I read a statistic once that said *most* print books have at least a few errors as well. I've gone through traditiona­lly classic books before with a red pen and found spelling errors...I­'ve also gone through textbooks and found errors. They're incredibly common. People just do notice much sometimes much more.
There are numerous symbols used in spelling these words - not letters but symbols like on the shift level of a keyboard. It's odd, but I don't have any trouble understand­ing the context of the sentence. Actually, it adds to the exoticness of the book's local.

I've downloaded hundreds of books - free and purchased - onto my Kindle and have noticed some errors. But I personally don't think it's a big deal. This is a fairly new technology and there are bound to be problems. I think most people can overlook them and still enjoy the book they are reading.

I just paid to have Kindle at Amazon format and e-publish my novel, and the first thing I noticed was that if a new paragraph starts at the top of the page, it loses its indentatio­n. When I commented to Kindle service reps about this problem, I was given a snooty reply that "on the rare occasions" when this glitch happens, it doesn't interfere with the pleasure of reading on Kindle. Rare occasions? Try every freaking time a new paragraph starts at the top of the page! If the Kindle is having this technologi­cal glitch, then the device/for­matting shouldn't have been released to the public until it was fixed.

As for the big traditiona­l publishers proofing, I find mistakes all the time in their books. I just started a major non-fictio­n book published by Simon and Schuster, and I found two typos in the first 10 pages. Even I proofed my own book with higher standards. If I miss it, I expect the publisher to find it a correct the error or errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment